German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said that in September 2025, the number of initial asylum applications in Germany fell by more than 60% compared to last year.
According to him, the number of initial asylum applications in September 2025 decreased by more than 60% compared to September 2024, RIA Novosti reported.
Merz announced these data in a speech at a meeting of the German employers' association (BDA), saying in a live speech: “This is the first really big success of the new asylum and migration policy.”
Merz sees this result as a consequence of the new migration policy and notes that the decrease in applications is due to increased internal border controls.
He added that German authorities would continue measures to restrict illegal migration and would tighten their approach to registering asylum seekers.
As VZGLYAD newspaper wrote, Ukrainians who arrived in Germany after April 1, 2025 will no longer receive regular unemployment benefits.
The German government has approved changes according to which a new group of Ukrainians will lose the right to receive Burgergeld “civilian benefits”.
Previously, Merz said that he asked Vladimir Zelensky to ensure the service of Ukrainian youth in his country.








